Monday, July 27, 2009

Another Tip on How to Save Money

So yesterday I told you that you could get good quality bread by going to the bread outlet. Well today I'm going to tell you how to get even more out of that bread. How? You know those heels at both ends of the loaf, well I don't usually eat them because they're not as good (especially the textrure). Well, I've discovered that instead of throwing those heels away, you can make bread crumbs with them and use them in things like meatloaf and breading poultry and meat. It's easy too! All you have to do when you're done eating all the other slices of bread in the loaf, you take the heels and stick them in the toaster. When they pop up I just let them sit there to let all the extra moisture out (for a few hours). I toast them sometimes 3 or 4 times to get all the moisture out. Once all the moisture is out, I stick them in a bag (the bag that the bread was in) and I fill up the bag with a bunch of heels (unless I need bread crumbs before it gets full). Then when it's full or I need some bread crumbs, I take a big cup and I smash the dried heels until the bread crumbs are fine.

2 comments:

  1. That's a good tip! I usually just throw my leftover bread in the freezer in a bag and then toss it in the food processor...

    About that laundry soap...I'm still perfecting it. I thought I had it right and my dipes started to repel again...ugh...I don't mind it for my regular clothes, and my family hasn't had nearly the dry skin that we've always had to deal with. I use a bar of dr. bronners, washing soda, borax, some oxy clean, and that's about it....I wish it did clean the dipes better!

    I am using Charlie's also. For about .08 a load, it's almost not worth it to make your soap. If you order a five gallon bucket from Charlie's direct, there isn't any shipping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that comment! Maybe I should just buy Charlie's again (I just ran out). Sorry I'm such a slacker on my blog! I'm going to put up some more posts soon.

    ReplyDelete